Thursday 27 December 2012

Family and Christmas

We spent a lovely weekend up North. Seeing my family again after all this time was amazing! It was just like old times standing in mam's kitchen, siblings all around and hot-dogs on the table! The only person missing of course was my mam.

It's coming up 10 years since she left us, but we all still miss her so much. The overwhelming pain at losing her has dulled over the years, but the memories and the longing to see her are still as fresh as ever. It makes me so sad that she never got to meet Katie, her grand-son Leon and ofcourse, her great grandson, Charlie. She would have gathered them up in her arms and showered them with kisses the way she used to do.

There has not been one single day when I have not thought of my mam, sometimes with sadness but more often with fondness. I guess that is how it will be for the rest of my life, but that fills me with comfort ; my mam will forever be in my heart.

Seeing Dad again was lovely. He is 5 years older of course, and his health has deteriorated of late. I feel so bad that I have left it so long, but I have promised to visit more often in the future. Anyway, the drive to Newcastle didn't take as long as we anticipated, so I have no excuse!

Dave met up with his boys and we all went Christmas shopping at the Metrocentre and then had a superb meal at a lovely Japanese restaurant.
Katie at the Metrocentre
Shopping with her Big Brother


Christmas Day was just the four of us (including Turkey-loving Maisie!) We opened our presents around the tree and had a delicious Christmas Dinner. Later we settled to watch Christmas TV, surrounded by chocolates and Baileys and a whole lot of love!... Perfect!
Unwrapping Presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment